Learning Designer: Public Policy
£ 30,000 - 40,000
Posted 2 weeks ago
Experienced Policymaker looking to join a fast-moving start-up? This could be your ideal next move if you enjoy getting your head around new topics quickly and designing content that people love! 😍
So what’s the job?
Apolitical is the first global platform for government that helps public servants find the ideas, experts and partners they need to solve the hardest challenges facing our societies. Their mission is to help make governments work better for citizens everywhere.
They're looking to expand the course creation team with a Learning Designer who will be writing courses on public policy topics. The successful candidate will have an interest in online education. You'll be excited about creating online learning experiences that can help public servants to be more knowledgeable, motivated and impactful. You’ll get to work with expert partners like the University of Oxford, and will be responsible for the design and development of course content. This is an amazing opportunity to grow your skills in all aspects of learning design, from facilitating design workshops, to developing effective pedagogical approaches, writing course material, overseeing filming and interacting with our public servant users.
Apolitical is a growing startup of just over 50 people. You would join a team of Learning Designers who report into the Head of Course Creation.
In this role you’ll get to:
- Expand your interest in learning through on-the-job training in learning design. Previous experience in learning content is highly beneficial.
- Collaborate with expert partners to design learning on some of the most interesting topics in the world - from regulating digital platforms to gender equality and net zero- for people with the ability to really affect change
- Own your own courses, from conducting research into wide-ranging course topics to writing engaging lesson content
- Evaluate and improve the learning offering and contribute to Apolitical’s learning strategy
- Work in a team of kind people who are passionate about their mission
Do I fit the bill? 🕵️
- 1-2 years experience in writing digital content - you need to be great at distilling complex concepts for a general audience
- A background in public policy and/or learning design would be advantageous
- Strong research skills using a range of sources and methodologies
- An interest in developing innovative online learning content
- A love of learning - you'll be working on a variety of interesting topics in a fast-moving start-up. You'll love this role if you enjoy getting your head around new topics quickly and designing content that people love
- To be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. You’re adaptable and full of great ideas about how we can improve our learning offering
- The ability to work autonomously and present solutions to new challenges
- Great communication and interpersonal skills - you’ll work closely with our partners and with every team in the company, from customer success to product
The exciting bits!
(In addition to working with smart, kind people on one of the most important challenges of our time…)
🚀 Stock options: Their employee options plan gives you a stake in their vision.
🦋 Flexibility: Everyone works differently. Whether it’s early mornings, late nights or a day at home, they support what gives you energy and makes you effective.
🌴 Holidays: Unlimited holidays, trusting people to take what they need when they need. As a restorative reboot, they give everyone on the team the last Friday of every month off.
💼 Office: They’re a hybrid working company, but when they’re at the office, they’re based 3 minutes North of in Elephant & Castle, easily accessible from all areas of London. They also have flexibility around remote work.
👶 Parental leave: Generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
📚 Development: Learning and development budgets for books, conferences and courses. They also offer learning time off and have an extensive library to which every team member contributes their favourite book.
🎲 Socials: Monthly virtual socials and more in-person meet-ups as some of the team head back into the office.
🌳 Financial wellbeing: Pension contribution on a banded scheme, salary sacrifice, and access to Maji, a financial planning tool to help you achieve your goals.
🧠 Knowledge-sharing: On Fridays they have talks on Zoom from team members to public service members sharing their work.
🌻 Mental Wellbeing: Membership to Spill, supporting employee mental health through Slack.
🚴🏽♀️ Cycle-to-Work: They are registered on the UK’s Cycle-to-Work scheme, so you can buy a bike and cycling accessories tax-free.
💸 Discounts: Exclusive discounts and rewards at over 30,000 brands through CharlieHR.
Before applying, you should read Apolitical’s leadership principles. Check in particular that you’re excited by the autonomy and changeability that a Series A stage startup demands.
Please note that, due to the nature of the work we do with global governments and partners, all employees are required to pass BPSS verification.
The key details
💰 Salary: £30,000-£40,000
📅 Start date: ASAP
🛍️ Contract: Permanent / Full-time
📍 Location: London, UK (hybrid)
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at Apolitical 🛍️
Non-discrimination and equal opportunity policy
Apolitical is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
So, what are the next steps? ✏️
Please submit the following:
- Send your CV to Feisty (no more than 2 pages)
- A covering letter of no more than 400 words explaining why you’d like to work for Apolitical and how your skills and experience meet the role requirements*
- Optional: if you have a portfolio of your work, feel free to provide it as a link (to follow)
- Successful applicants will be invited to the next stages: Task
- Skill interview
- Team fit interview
*Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apolitical is a social learning platform for government. Its mission is to help build 21st century governments that work for people and the planet. They equip policymakers with the knowledge, skills and community they need to solve the world’s hardest challenges. Their platform is used by more than 160,000 public servants and policymakers in 170 countries, with community members ranging from mayors, ministers, and heads of civil services to policy pioneers and digital disruptors. Apolitical is backed by mission-driven investors around the world and by prestigious European Union innovation funding. Apolitical’s decision-making and team culture is guided by The Apolitical Leadership Principles and The Apolitical Charter.