Software Development Internship (London Summer '23)
Posted 4 weeks ago
Get a feel for life as a professional digital engineer, building real-world software.
Under the guidance of experienced developers, our interns form a team to create a commercial-grade application. This might be for a client, or it might be a pro bono project or it might be addressing a need within Softwire.
Recent examples include a skills-tracker for Potential Plus UK, and a website for Pungo to monitor the mental wellbeing of elderly people.
And with around half our interns taking permanent graduate roles with us after their studies, the programme could be the ideal way into your career in tech.
Underpinning your success are our three key pillars: our people, our culture and the way we work. Read on to discover more about each.
What to expect during an internship (and afterwards)
Weeks 1-2: Induction
To get you up to speed ahead of the main development project, we spend two weeks on structured training, covering the essentials you’ll need to thrive as part of the team.
Week 3 and onwards: Software development project
Following the training, you’ll begin work on software for a real customer – either an external organisation or another part of Softwire.
You and your intern colleagues will be exposed to the full delivery lifecycle, guided by experienced software engineers. Projects typically include system design, development and testing, culminating in a demonstration of the completed product to the customer.
Your stepping stone to a permanent role at Softwire?
The intern programme enables us to get to know each other, and gives you a great insight into what a career with Softwire could be like. Around half our interns go on to take up permanent positions with us once they graduate. Find out more about our graduate developer role and where it could take you.
The people we’re looking for: Are we a good match? 🕵️
- A passion for solving real-world challenges: First and foremost, you’ll get a buzz from building things that make a difference to businesses, people and society. We also want to see passion for coding – any experience you have is a bonus
- An articulate people-person: You’ll be interacting with a wide variety of individuals: some deeply techy, some from complex business domains, and others with low digital literacy. You’ll need to be comfortable understanding their needs and discussing potentially complex technical ideas with all of them
- A positive, can-do team player: You love pushing the team to greater heights by helping colleagues out wherever you can. You always look to improve yourself and others. Your default answer to a question is ‘yes’, and you make big problems seem small
The exciting bits!
- Salary £30,000 per annum (pro rata) for summer internships 💰
- Great offices; free on-site gym and subsidised restaurant in London 😍
- Take part in our varied programme of social events and entertainment 🤸
- Be part of a diverse, inclusive culture 💪
- Variety of Softwire career paths for successful interns 🚀
Application process: Step by step
We know how much effort you put into your application, so we always aim to get back to you within two working days at each stage. And if you get to the interviews, you can choose your own timeslots, using our online booking system.
All interviews are conducted remotely.
- Apply: Send your CV to Feisty, click on link (to follow) to complete your application on Softwire's website
- Online aptitude & coding tests (complete series of exercises to demonstrate your capabilities
- Introductory Interview - Non-technical interview helps us get to know each other and understand what inspires you
- 2nd Interview (up to 2 hrs) - Spend some time on a deep dive to get a feel for the way you solve technology challenges
- Internship Offer!
The key details
📍 Location: London
📅 Summer internships begin in June 2023 and will last 8-12 weeks.
⏰ We recommend applying for your internship in the first term of the academic year, Autumn 2022 as we allocate places to successful applicants on a first-come, first-served basis.
More about Softwire: What you’ll be part of
Our mission is to solve our customers’ business challenges using technology. This often demands creativity, tackling complex issues in intelligent ways, to help organisations streamline operations and ultimately better serve their customers and users.
We played an important role in the Moorfields Eye Hospital/DeepMind collaboration, which demonstrated how artificial intelligence could help doctors fast-track patients with serious eye diseases. We built the system that runs the BBC Live Events websites, sharing content from Glastonbury, the Reading and Leeds festivals, and the BBC Proms. We’ve been the long-term digital partner for David Lloyd Leisure, building its mobile app, booking system and numerous other capabilities. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Find out what else we’ve been involved with.
Of course, there’s more to Softwire than building software. We’re working hard to nurture a diverse, inclusive and supportive culture, where people love what they do and feel inspired by working with some of the best minds in the business. We also have a generous budget for a varied programme of staff events and activities, with employees, not management, deciding how the money is spent.
Put all of this together, and you see why we’ve got such high retention rates, and why we’ve been in the Best Companies to Work For list, 10 years in a row.
Learn more about our core values.
Ready to be part of the journey? Apply for your internship today
Softwire is a leading digital software consultancy. They offer services in software engineering, design, innovation, cloud, mobile and data.
Trusted by well-known organisations, including the BBC, David Lloyd Clubs, LNER and The Cabinet Office, Softwire has grown into a business that consistently delivers large, high-profile digital projects for the UK’s leading brands.
Information for non-UK applicants
All roles and internships require employees to be based in the UK and to work from one of our offices – the only exception being when covid restrictions necessitate temporary remote working. As such, all applicants and employees must possess the right to work in the UK.
For permanent roles, Softwire offers visa sponsorship for non-UK nationals and will cover application costs for a Skilled Worker visa or Indefinite Leave to Remain. For internships and apprenticeships, we are regrettably unable to offer visa sponsorship. Non-UK nationals applying for internships or apprenticeships must already have the right to work in the UK, for example by virtue of studying in the UK and thus holding a Student visa.