Senior Frontend Engineer
£ 75,000 - 90,000
Posted 1 week ago
This company are reinventing homeownership by co-investing with people who haven't been able to buy a home yet. Now they need a Frontend whiz to own the entire customer journey, help grow their close-knit team, and change the face of homeownership forever!
Wayhome are a team of 70+ operations specialists, data scientists, engineers and creatives, who are addressing one of the biggest and most life-changing problems their customers have: how they can get the security and freedom of homeownership for their families and for themselves.
They offer a collaborative, challenging environment, where they emphasise excellence and making each other laugh. You will be supported by your colleagues when you need it, and be left to get on with it when you don't.
They're in the midst of fundraising for their Series A, purchasing more homes with their customers each day, and developing the business to make them more efficient and productive as we scale.
They're a small but growing tech team (12 engineers + 9 Product & Design people), which is currently split into 2 squads. Each team has the freedom to adapt the way they work based on their team needs, but they generally operate using a mixture of Kanban and Scrum techniques with regular retrospectives.
✍🏻 What will you be working on?
TLDR: You’ll work on the entire customer journey (e.g. searching, buying, managing rent). You’ll also...
- Work on the internal tools needed to ensure the operations and customer team can work efficiently
- Build new features for the customer-facing websites and internal operational tooling
- Take ownership of at least one of the main projects while maintaining and improving on Wayhome's existing ones
- Discuss technical decisions on frontend tooling and architecture with other members of the frontend team
- Be an active participant in retros, workshops and discussions
- Work with the product team in reviewing upcoming features and contributing to both user stories, acceptance criteria and reviewing designs for feasibility
- Share technical knowledge through code reviews and pair programming
- Guide and teach less experienced members of the team
🤩 Who are you?
- You’re pragmatic and understand when to ship quickly and learn vs spending the extra time to avoid tech debt
- You’re curious about frontend tech and enjoy learning new things
- Good communication skills and an interest in mentoring and helping more junior team members
- Someone with a good sense of design, and understanding what makes a good user experience
- You're someone who can talk honestly about the things they’ve achieved, the mistakes they’ve made, and the learnings they’ve gained along the way!
⭐️️ ED&I at Wayhome
"A lot of research shows that men apply to jobs when they feel they hit around 60% of the criteria... but women and marginalised groups tend to only apply if they hit every single ask 🤯
Our job ads are a guide, but we won't be looking for a 100% match on paper!
We're interested in hearing about how you can contribute to our team, not just tick the boxes. We don't have internal JDs so our job ads are a little more detailed than usual too as we want you to be able to make a fully informed (and excited!) choice to apply."
🎉 What does success look like?
After your first month you’ll have: shipped a few small features and bug fixes, gotten familiar with one of Wayhome's product code bases, learnt about our workflow and processes.
After your first three months you’ll have: shipped a major feature to the users, learnt about at least one main Wayhome product in-depth, contributed to process improvements in the team.
After your first year you’ll have: improved the skills and knowledge of other team members, taken technical ownership of one or two product areas, hired or onboarded additional team members, driven several improvements to the way the team works.
Other things you'll do together: improve documentation and code quality reduce technical debt!
🌱 The interview process
- Apply via Feisty
- CV review
- 30-minute initial video call to surface alignment and competency with Wayhome's Lead Frontend Engineer
- A more in-depth competency interview including a pair programming exercise with 2 other engineers - they'll share the task beforehand, so the problem that you're working on wouldn’t be a surprise
- Meet some other Wayhomies
They know interview processes are two-way, so you’ll have plenty of time to grill the team at each stage and they'll always be completely honest about the realities of working at Wayhome
The exciting bits!
🎉 Salary £75,000-90,000 based on experience
🏝 Unlimited holiday (minimum 28 day/year)
🧠 A learning budget of up to £600 per year
💙 Mental health budget
📊 An opportunity to be granted stock options for high performance
🚲 Cycle to work scheme
🏢 An office in Bank with all the WeWork bells and whistles
💻 Hybrid working
On remote working...
"We have no specific obligations to come into the office. We have a (dog-friendly) office in central London if you're unable or don’t want to work from home, or just prefer the buzz of a co-working space.
We want to support making your remote-working experience as enjoyable and productive as possible; we’re growing into this new reality together, so if there is a specific way you want to work or you have particular requirements, let us know: we're always open to discussing it. A laptop and other work-from-home essential equipment will be provided to support hybrid working."
Wayhome offers a completely new way for people to get on the housing ladder without needing to take out a mortgage.
Homeowners get capital to buy a home worth up to eight times their income with only a 5% deposit.
It also opens up owner-occupied residential property as an asset class for pension funds, who earn inflation-linked rent on the portion the occupier doesn't own.
It offers a win, win for both homeowners and the investors.